Cleaning & Prevention
Prevention begins at home with strong oral hygiene habits. Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates work to constantly educate and motivate patients to take their oral care seriously and proactively.
Along with strong hygiene habits, Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates encourages every patient to visit the office every six months for a routine exam and cleaning.
General exams and cleanings allow Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates to identify problem areas at their earliest stages, often making treatments less invasive. Our friendly staff ensures that your visit is comfortable, efficient, and pleasant.
Professional Teeth Cleaning and Dental Hygiene Exams
We encourage our patients to have a professional cleaning and exam performed every six months. During a routine cleaning and exam, Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates:
- Review patient’s overall health history and conditions
- Review patient’s dental health history and habits
- Take time to discuss and understand patient’s dental goals
- Check the gums and bones around the teeth for any sign of periodontal disease
- Check temporomamdibular joints for TMJ or lock jaw
- Examine the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues and gums for any signs of oral cancer
- Examine the bite, or alignment of teeth
- Examine teeth for cavities and decay
- Examine any restorations that have been previously placed, including crowns and fillings.
- Take x-rays of tooth structure
- Remove tarter from a patient’s gums
- Remove plaque
- Polish teeth to remove any stains
Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates takes time during each appointment to thoughtfully discuss procedures and treatments with patients, as well as discussing preventative actions that patients can take at home.
Dental Sealants for Kids and Adults
Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates commonly recommends dental sealants to help prevent tooth decay among children and teenagers.
How They Work
Sealants provide a thin, plastic barrier on the chewing surfaces of back teeth. They help to prevent decay from bacteria, germs, and lingering food particles by forming a protective covering across the tooth.
How They Are Placed
A simple procedure, sealants require no painful drilling or removal of existing tooth structure. The teeth are thoroughly cleaned and prepared with a special gel. The gel is allowed to settle briefly before being washed off the tooth and dried.
The dental sealant is then painted onto the chewing surface of the tooth, and a special light is shone over the sealant to assist the bonding process.
If you are interested in knowing more about dental sealants and if they are right for your child, please call our office today!
Fluoride treatments are important for preventing dental caries, a term better known as tooth decay.
What Does Fluoride Do?
Teeth are under a constant barrage of acids, sugars, and bacteria. Those agents wear down the integrity of tooth enamel and lead to tooth decay. Fluoride contains re-mineralization agents that serve to repair and strengthen the enamel of teeth.
When Are Fluoride Treatments Offered?
Fluoride treatments are often applied during regular exams, but may also be used more frequently to treat patients who have a higher risk of developing tooth decay.
Oral Hygiene at Home
Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates believes that great oral health requires a combined effort of professional attention and individual commitment.
The habits we form at home serve as the foundation for a beautiful, confident smile. How are you doing in the following areas?
- Making healthy snacking decisions, rather than sugary ones
- Brushing at least two times a day
- Flossing once a day
- Eating well balance meals
- Rinsing daily with a ADA-approved mouthwash
Supplementing Your at Home Oral Care
There are several over-the-counter options that claim to improve oral health and enhance smiles, from whiteners to rinses and washes. It is always a best practice to consult Dr. Brad Welsh & Associates prior to buying any over-the-counter aids to ensure that you are using the most trusted products.